baby wyatt

baby wyatt

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

well, I just quit my job.

Here's the letter I wrote to Craig, the floor manager:

I can cover both those days and it looks like I'm on call Jan. 6th. But I've already talked to Barb and I'm turning in my two weeks notice. After the 6th, I am requesting that I no longer be on the schedule. If you guys need me, I will remain on emergency pull status. This past semester, I've had numerous problems with scheduling and it has given me more stress than I care to have. On several occassions, I have been scheduled during block testing to work even though I had requested those days off. I was able to move those shifts to other people, but I was left in a situation in which I "owe" the boys. During one of my blocks, I was even placed on call on a Sunday but no one even bothered to call and tell me that I was on the schedule. I didn't even find out until one of the on call pharmacists called me at home and asked me why I wasn't answering the pages. I had to go into the pharmacy after taking four tests the previous two days and needing to take 2 more tests the next day. I understand it was just a miscommunication, but it seems like the entire semester has been a huge miscommunication. It's given me a lot of anxiety and I don't really want to deal with it anymore. I also believe that the scheduling of holidays was handled incorrectly. I offered to take oncall for Thanksgiving because I would be in town, but was not given it. But I was automatically put on call for the weekend of Christmas and New years'. I went out of town Friday, Sat and Sun and I currently "owe" Zack for covering me because he was in town for Christmas. I was scheduled without it being discussed and I am assuming this is because my default schedule is usually Friday and Saturday. I thought incorrectly that for the holidays, the on call people would discuss who would be in town for the holidays and possible do half shifts. This is what I remember doing last year. For all it's worth, I felt so guilty about it, I came in Saturday morning to help out at the pharmacy before I left town and I also took on call from Zack midnight Saturday when I got back in town until Sunday morning at the change over time. But I guess it's not worth much because now I'm working New Year's eve and New Year's day.

Again, I will remain on emergency pull status if you guys need me to.

-Virginia Fields

No comments: