baby wyatt

baby wyatt

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Friday, I woke up to snow falling. Since I had already taken a personal day, it wasn't stressful; it was beautiful. It made the world look bright and clean.

I remembered when my children were little how we put cups out to catch the snow so we could eat it while it was still clean and pure without worrying about animals walking or other things on it. I put out two cups that by supper time were filled to the rim. It tasted so good . Even though it was just water, it had the flavor of memories. I thought about when the girls were little how I dressed them warmly and went out to make snowmen. Most of the time there was only enough snow for little snowmen but at least once we made a fairly big one. Then HOT chocolate to warm the body and snow served with smiles and received with laughter.

The snow kept getting deeper and deeper but it was late before it started sticking to the roads I could see from my window. John even picked up fish from St. Rita's on his way home without any trouble. When it started sticking most people had already been sent home early so the streets stayed almost trackless.

It was so strange to see the snow on the branches of the tree in our front yard. The snow actually was wet enough that it stacked up instead of falling off to the ground so there was what looked like a foot on some of the branches. When the wind blew, it stayed there. I was so amazed that I sat on the second floor and just watched it for awhile. I didn't think to take a picture of it. It's probably prettier in my memory anyway.

I went to sleep glad that Saturday I could stay home, too. When I woke up John was out shoveling the drive way. It was still snowing and he had to go back when he finished because the snow had covered the ground again. While he was outside,Greg wanted to know about canceling lodge. I said as Master it was Greg's call but I would call John in . John told him it was his call so he called the lodge dark and called the officers to cancel. When John went out to finish shoveling, his footprints were gone. He went to Kroger to pick up my medicine and drop off his prescriptions and said the roads weren't too bad. Then he said Greg was probably right anyway since it was supposed to get bitter cold Saturday night. By bedtime there were just some spots with ice on the roads that had been treated with brine. Other roads weren't as good.

This morning I was ready to brave the cold and possibly icy street to go to church-only not the cold. I pre-heated my car for the second time this winter. (My heater had broken earlier this week and it only got fixed Thursday afternoon when it was too warm to really be sure it was fixed.) When my car was toasty, I set out. It was cold but sunny.

Our street, Bost and part of Foreman were pretty clear. When I crossed Blue Lick to the rest of Foreman, it was icy as was Trio. Preston was clear except for the center turn lane and it was only icy in spots. St. Rita's parking lot was mostly clear since someone had plodded it. Only a little ice as you came in the lot. I went early so if there was ice I could park closer and not walk far on ice. They even had the sidewalk besides the church shoveled.

When I took Missy out, it was cold but different. The sky was a beautiful clear blue. The air smelled and felt fresh. I thought "this is how it felt in Alaska." This is a special cold. She walked down the walk and driveway until she came to a lower spot in the snow so most of the yard was footprint less and brilliant white. I actually just stood there for a few minutes in no hurry to go in.
I almost wish the snow would stay around awhile (but not on roads),

When I came home, John wanted to go to one of his favorite (and my least favorite) restaurant, Golden Corral. It is usually so very crowded. It wasn't today. The parking lot was clear but they had about a foot of ice you had to cross to get to the sidewalk to the restaurant. Someone didn't realize they couldn't push snow off the lot toward the building without leaving an obstacle.

We went to Sam's and I got three more books before going to Meier as usual on Sunday.( Last week was warm and I got to break out of my rut by going to a choral concert with Virginia. It was nice to have a change.)

Now it is 42 degrees and the snow is melting. Kentucky is just weird.

No comments: