baby wyatt

baby wyatt

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Fields and Friends

Monday John's vacation is officially over. Today he's gone into work to catch up on his e-mails and do a few other things. Last weekend we went to Barren River Lake for a mini convention. He went to an hour meeting and then we had the rest of the weekend to play. The first night there was a banquet where we sat with friends and saw a magician. He was one of the best I've ever seen. He really seemed to enjoy himself and was humorous. He had John and some random lady help with a card trick. He had her pick a number and John a suit and then picked the card out of the deck. It was amazing. He picked a little boy out of the audience to help who had the most expressive face. We knew the family and so we knew he hadn't seen the magician before but he couldn't have been more perfect if they had practiced. Than Sat. morning we went with the Whites on a speed boat. The marina owners wouldn't let John take his fishing poles on the boat. He was a little disappointed. He had even bought a fishing license. But it was fun riding around the lake. We stopped in a cove and they swam and just relaxed. Then we went to look at the dam. When we stopped back at the marina for bathrooms, John and I went back to the lodge. I went to lunch and John went down the hill to fish off the bank. He says he got lots of bites. They ate all his nightcrawlers but were really fast so he didn't pull anything in. I was impressed with the service I received at lunch. My glass never got empty until I finally said no more. I sat outside awhile and read. It was nice in the shade and there was a breeze. That night there was a barbecue. They had the best corn on the cob. Again we sat late talking with friends. The next morning we had breakfast at the buffet and came home in time for church. Monday I went down to lodge with John while he helped clean up the damage from where the roof leaked before they fixed the roof. We had lunch out and came home to wait for Greg to come home to help move furniture from Mom's house. It turned out Greg's neighbor finally had her baby ( it seems like she was having contractions forever) so Greg and Rebecca were babysitting the other kids and were taking them to the hospital to see the new baby so John and I went out to dinner instead. Tuesday Greg and John went over to mom's and brought back the dresser/desk that was my Aunt Barbara's when I was growing up and the hutch and table (no chairs yet) that were my grandmother's. Then Rebecca met us all at Tumbleweed. Wednesday after lunch, we got movies: Rumor Has It... (which could have been a whole lot better), some action flick with Harrison Ford which was kind of stupid, and 16 Blocks which sounded lame but turned out to be a really interesting movie that I would recommend to anyone who wants to see a movie that ends making you feel good since justice won. Even the alternate ending wasn't too horrible.( At least from what John said. I refused to watch it. I liked the first ending too much). Wednesday morning I went to a class at Holy Spirit on introduction to Cathesis. I thought I knew how to get there. I'd just get off at Taylorsville Rd. and go on Cannon Lane to Lexington Rd. like I used to take Virginia to Mary T. Well, I went the wrong way on Taylorsville Rd. and when I tried to turn around I ran into a lot of no left turn places and got turned around. Instead of being early I got there barely on time and then I couldn't find were in the multitude of buildings the class was in for awhile. It turned out you had to go in the door that said do not enter,visitors go to the rotunda. Luckily I saw some random woman walking and she wandered around with me pointing out where it could be so I didn't panic and finally found the class just in time to sign in before it started. It was an exciting class and well worth the trouble. I was happy. Sometimes you wonder why are you wasting your time but this one was great. Wednesday night Greg and John went over and got some more stuff. Rebecca is keeping a couple of things in her basement and there were a couple of pieces they wanted so most of what John and Greg got that day went there. They did bring the to the table home to my house. We put 4 of the eight chairs in the basement. The table has two leaves to make it bigger but we're leaving those down unless we need them so we just need 4 chairs up for now. We went to Texas Roadhouse. But I was disappointed in the chicken so only ate one piece and sent the rest home with Rebecca. Earlier that day I was disappointed at lunch when the food I'd ordered didn't taste as good as I wanted. It was a bad day for food I guess. John also worked on patching the driveway Tuesday and Wed. Thursday we went to the Patton Museum. It's been redone since we went there with our girls. It's set up in a more orderly fashion with exhibits that explain the history. The first exhibit is about Elvis Presley's time in the service. Then World War I all the way to Desert Storm. They have examples of uniforms of both sides besides the weapons. At the end was an exhibit on General Patton. I didn't know he was in the Olympics but he had a medal for being on the fencing team. The panel truck he had fitted out to live in seemed nicer than some rv's today. It was thundering when we got there and when we left but it never rained. Then we stopped at lodge and John helped put ceiling tiles up after filling the Pepsi machine. It was fine downstairs where I was but upstairs where he was working was hot and messy because of the fiberglass of the new tiles and the plaster falling from the old ceiling the tiles covered. He looked like one tired puppy when they finally finished. Yesterday after eating lunch with Lee we went to the Frazier Arms Museum. It was another history lesson. The top floor was mostly medieval history and weapons. They had a demonstration of sword fighting with two handed swords. It was interesting in a scary sort of way. There was a lot to read and lots of mini movies about battles and how armor and weapons and ammo was made. They had a gunsmiths work tool shop. And some wicked looking knives. It was really something but it's not some where I need to go back to again. It was interesting that in the lot we parked in, they had a recording playing of a hawk. John said it was to scare the pigeons away. It was raining but John called Lee at the ballpark and he said it had stopped there so we went to the Bats game. The rain had cooled it off so the weather was pleasant. The Bats played really good and ended up winning 4 to 1. On the way to the car, we stopped and watched the fireworks. They were very pretty. This week I've eaten out a lot. I've talked to Rebecca and Virginia and Christy. It's been a good week.Fields and Friends

2 comments:

Virginia said...

we should eat at that table for the holidays instead of being all spead out. At least the adults. The kids can sit at a kid's table.

Virginia's Mom said...

Absolutely. And all the grownups can have a real chair. It will be just like in the movies.