Maybe has a new dog bed ordered for her. And her nasty butterfly chair has a date with the trash man next Tuesday.
This weekend, we finish cleaning out the office (minus the filling cabinet). We have to clean up the garage to move said filing cabinet. And I have to go through said filing cabinet and throw out the very old stuff.
Is it strange that I'm sorta dreading registering for baby things? I have no idea what or how much of anything I will need. I don't want someone to get me somethign that I asked for, and then I use it once and then it spends the next 2 years sitting in the baby's room.
Does everyone use their little rocking chairs they got? Or the changing table? or the diaper genie? please be honest? And do I need to register for clothes, or do people just get you what they think is cute anyway?
when are you suppose to start using pacies?
do people actually use baby monitors?
How do you know which is the best/safest car seat or stroller? The more expensive? does anyone actually use their stroller more than once a year? how long is a car seat good for? do you buy one to last until they are old enough for a booster seat? and if you have two parents, do you buy two, one for each car?
7 comments:
Until Duncan just recently started sleeping through the night, I used my glider multiple times a day/night. You can find good ones on craigslist - don't spend hundreds of dollars on one.
I use the changing table every day, but only because Duncan is older and he will roll over and away from me if I try to change him on the floor/bed/etc. Our changing table doubles as our dresser, and besides the crib, it is the only other piece of furniture we have in the nursery. But no, you do not need a changing table.
I would register for a few clothes - onesies in multiple sizes definitely. That's really all you need. Other people will get you clothes (and if they don't, go to a consignment store)
Pacies are not a necessity. Duncan never took to one - he was either nursing on sucking on my finger. Some babies like them, others don't. Maybe register for one or two (or the hospital may give you one) and try it out for a little bit. It is easier without them, though.
We rarely use our baby monitor because our house is small enough that we can hear him whenever he makes a noise. We got a cheap one. It's worth having if you need to go into the backyard or something.
Strollers and carseats are overwhelming. We got a Graco stroller/carseat combo and used that carseat for maybe 2 months. I got tired of carrying Duncan around in the carseat, so we got the "big" one when he was about 2 months old and have been using that since. It's a Britax Boulevard. I do, however, use my stroller all of the time. I have the Graco one for if I go to the zoo or the mall (somewhere where Duncan will be in it for a while), and then I have an UppaBaby umbrella stroller for shorter trips. It's lighter. If I had to do it over, I'd pay more money for a stroller that is lighter that we can use all the time, like http://www.babyjogger.com/city_mini_lp.aspx ... and in your case, this one can be used as a jogging stroller, too, which I imagine you will want?
The carseat that came with the stoller is good for up to 22 pounds. The one we have him in now is good to 60 pounds. Also, the carseats that come with the stollers have a separate "base" that go into the car. However, you do not HAVE to have the base to install it in the car, so ... no, you do not need to buy two carseats.
My two absolute favorite baby must-haves are a white noise machine for baby's room (keeps us from having to be so quiet, and he does not wake up as easily) and a good baby carrier, like a ring sling or a Moby wrap. Carrying the baby is so much easier than lugging a dang stroller around, especially when the baby is tiny. I know people who don't even own strollers and carry the baby everywhere ... it's very doable, especially if you have a carrier that you love. Oh, and you can breastfeed in some carriers, too, and no one even notices. :o)
My personal opinion is that Babies R Us is the epitome of consumerism and 99% of the stuff in that store is not needed. Yes, it's nice to have, but it's not a necessity. All you REALLY need (if you're breastfeeding) is some diapers (cloth ones, at that), a few clothes, and a good carrier. You don't even need a crib - in most other countries around the world, babies sleep with the parents until they are old enough to sleep in a big bed alone.
So ... that was long, but that's my two cents. :o)
And PS, I think that diaper genies are the most ridiculous invention ever. Cloth diapers are just as easy, cuter, and cheaper. You will be doing laundry anyway, so one load of diapers is really not that much.
Do we use the following?
Rocking Chair: Yes
Changing table: Yes
Diaper Genie: Yes
Clothes: Don't register except maybe plain white onesies, by the time people go and buy the stores will have rotated stock and what you saw won't be there anyway. I don't know that I got anything that I registered for and didn't "need" to buy clothes until 12m & 18m size (that he's still wearing)
Pacies: If you want to use while breastfeeding, it is best to wait until 4-6 weeks to introduce paci or bottles or pump. We did use a pacifier in car and while I was working and some nights, but I don't know that it helped.
Baby monitors: We turned it on maybe 5 times after he outgrew the bassint but I would be so freaked out anyway I wouldn't sleep so we brought him back to bed with us. I might start using it to go outside and garden while he is napping, but Greg can hear him walking around when he wakes up so maybe not.
Car Seat/Stroller - Safest Consumer reports.
The store should allow you to install the car seat in your car to test it and the strollers are out for you to walk around with and determine height and how easy it is.
Infant seat lasted us to 10/11 months. He got the convertable as an early bday present. Infant seats are usually good til about 22 lbs.
Yes, we use the stroller(s) all the time (mostly not with the carseat on top) He also gets carried a lot so I wish I had more wraps & carriers. Infant seats you can get 2 bases for each car, convertible seat you will probably get later on and can decide if you need 2. Aaden is really small though and could technically still be in his infant seat if he needed to be weight wise (not sure about height).
We have a convertible that is rearfacing until 35 lbs, forward facing with harness until 50lbs (or something?) and booster until 100 lbs. Techincally we won't need another seat, but I have to do more research about boosters cause I read an artile that convertibles that turn into boosters aren't safe as boosters so I'll figure that out after 50 lbs
Car seats "expire" about 6 years from date of manufacture and should be replaced after being in an accident.
You will need a good breastpump. I can loan you my medela dual electric one if you want to try it . You will want to buy replacement tubes, etc. (I would not offer this to anyone but my sister lol) When we have another baby, I won't be pumping so I'll probably just get a smaller manual or one-sided pimp for the few times I go out.
I have lots of freezer bags and bottles, nipples, etc. you can have too.
Definitely get a baby carrier/sling. You won't have to hold on so tight when you need to use one had for something else and you and bbf will be much happier. I was much happier when I bought mine and I'm sure they've improved on them. I have your child size rocking chair you had when you were young saved for you. You loved it.
you shouldn't buy a car seat at a cosignment shop right? because you don't know what's happened to it?
Rebecca: how much do you spend a month on diapers?
ANd what do you mean by this: "(mostly not with the carseat on top)"
Absolutely not at a cosignment shop. Remember I said I would pay for bbf's car seat. If you don't mind changing the car seat everytime you use a different car it's fine to have just one. If you want the convenience of not going thru the hassle get two. I don't mind taking care of the cost of two. When you decide what you want let me know the cost with tax and the check will be in the mail ASAP.
didn't I already comment?
we spend $40-$60 per month.
the travel systems are made so that the car seat will hook to the top of the stroller. We usually left the car seat in the car and let him sit/lay down or the stroller.
Post a Comment