To all who read this blog, I'm posting this to ask you to keep my brother, Dustin, 19, in your thoughts, prayers, or whatever your custom may be. Today is the day he gets on the plane and gets deployed to Iraq, to serve as a combat medic in the army. Today is the day the uncertainty begins about his well-being, his whereabouts, his state of mind. I don't even know what city he's being deployed to at this point. There are no guarantees on when he gets to come home, how often he gets to write or e-mail, how often he can call. There are no guarantees about anything at this point. Today is the day I knew was coming but was hoping wouldn't.
Ten minutes ago I got a call on my cell phone from a number I didn't recognize, and being in the library, I just let it vibrate, figuring they would leave a message and I would call them back in a few minutes. Never crossed my mind that it could be Dustin, I was too wrapped up in studying for this stupid test, this stupid, insignificant in the grand scheme of things, test. Of course, it was Dustin, leaving me a message telling me he was getting on the plane and that he guessed he would see me in a year and a half or so. He sounded scared. He sounded scared, and I wasn't there for him. Of course, as soon as I got the message I raced downstairs and called the number back (which happened to be his cell phone), but it was too late, he had already turned it off. And now I can't help but think I may have just missed the last opportunity to speak with my little brother, and frankly, I'm a little upset about it.
But that's awfully selfish of me. My unrest will pass in a few minutes. His will linger for weeks, maybe more. I wrote him an e-mail yesterday. I can't wait until he replies. I'll keep you posted.
3 comments:
Dear heart, not only will I pray, I will ask my friends to pray. Being a doctor is not insignificant, so the tests you have to take are significant. You will save many lives. And you will worry the whole time he is gone. Maybe not with your full attention but in the back of your consciousness it will be there. I hope he gets a chance to call you soon and often. God be with you both and keep Dustin safe.
I don't know how it is for everyone but when my brother-in-law was there and he was able to call and email often. He even sent pictures. I'm assuming like my brother-in-law, your brother is around people that he has gotten to know well with training. He isn't alone and he'll be okay. Of course he's scared but he knows you are there for him.
I'm sorry about your brother. I wish he didn't have to go.
Post a Comment