baby wyatt

baby wyatt

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Chris Blogs from LA

Quick post today, ladies and gents as I am on call at the West Los Angeles VA once again. Not a whole lot of new since last time. Lissa's still going to play practice 4 nights a week plus Sunday afternoons, so we have only had an hour or two to spend together on most nights. But, we take advantage of what we can. We saw Inglorious Basterds last night which was endlessly gruesome and ridiculously bloody (read, lots of scalping) but pretty entertaining. Not as good as Pulp Fiction clearly and really, I might prefer the Kill Bill series. But still a keeper.

Our air conditioner went to shit a few days ago, this at the beginning of a record heat wave with temps over the 100 mark in some areas. Luckily, our landlord is a decent guy and brought a portable unit over on Friday that has made all the difference. For a few days though, it was absolutely miserable in our apt. No word on when the permanent a/c is to be replaced.

Me, work-wise, I'm on Neurology inpatient right now and it blows ass. We have, on our team, 4 psych residents, 4 medical students, and two neurology residents which equates to sitting around doing jack all day waiting for consults that never come and not learning anything. At the hospital I'm at now, their neurology service is purely a consult service, so there's usually only 5 or 6 patients to round on in the morning on any given day. Absolutely worthless. But alas, 2 1/2 more weeks and I can get back to psych. I have inpatient UCLA psych next which should be much more satisfying.

Let's see, oh yes, social commentary on world happenings. Um... This couple that kidnapped the girl for 18 years are beyond my comprehension. News out today, however, is that the girl was working for him and had access to a phone and computer, so it will be interesting to see what kind of brainwashing was going on to keep her quiet. How they can plead not guilty in court is beyond me.
LA fires are abound, as the heat has been increased and the atmosphere dry, but none of them are anywhere near us. I did smell smoke this morning for the first time, but that seems to be a wide-spread phenomenon at the moment. There's a Hurricane headed towards Baja that won't give us any problems, but might actually bring some rain which will help the fires. It hasn't rained but maybe one sprinkle and one cloudy day since we've been here. It's always cloudy in the morning until around 8:00 when all clouds go away and the sun takes over. Something about the 'marine layer' from the ocean which lets all the plants stay pretty and flowering.

Hmm, I guess that's all I'll say for now. If it gets unbearably boring later on, maybe I'll dump some more mindless drivel on here later. Hope all is well in KY and give the dogs scratches for me. Zippy too.

2 comments:

Virginia's Mom said...

We keep having too much rain. Wish I could send you some. I'll keep wishing the fires stay away from where you are at. Too bad the marine layer can't put out fires too.

Virginia said...

way to ignore Turtle. The neurology service here in Lexington has like 2 or 3 patients at one time. Pharm residents can sign up for that rotation, but it's a complete waste of time, so our preceptor won't let us. I have been going to Neurology clinic every Thursday in the afternoon which has been cool. It's a pharmacotherapy clinic lead by pharmacists.