baby wyatt

baby wyatt

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Less silence... more posts. That seems like a tall request.

We went to IKEA and the IMAX yesterday, even though previously I think I had posted that we were going last weekend. IKEA was pretty stressful. very big and very busy. But we got a TV stand. And we will be getting a 52 inch Sharp Aquos on the 9th. Tax free 1499.99. Working for the VA is awesome in case you didn't know. Everything in the canteen is tax free. yep. Our old TV and stand wil be going to my parents. They will be picking it up on Sunday the 12th. We need to dust it off for them.

Maybe is slightly freaked out. the fireworks in the neighbood has started.

residency is still going good. Next week I think I am going to be working in inpatient. We won't start our rotation schedule until the end of the month.

This morning Jeremy ran in a 10k and did really well. I slept in, and then went to the gym and did about an hour of cardio. Tomorrow if the weather is nice we are going for a really long bike ride and then maybe to the gym for weights.

This afternoon we went to the residency picnic. it was sorta strange because the UK professors totally outnumbered any VA pharmacists. It was a little strange.

We still have met one of the 2nd year residents who we are sharing an office with. I don't think she comes for another 2 weeks or so.

I am so glad that I have tomorrow off. I had to work at the VA last weekend, and I ended up working 11 days straight, including two midnight shifts at CVS. I was pretty tired by Thursday night.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hooray, more posts! I miss you guys like woah. Twinkie has been freaked out by fireworks too. It's illegal to do most consumer fireworks here, so naturally, all the neighborhood kids are armed to the teeth with firecrackers and cherry bombs. We're saving up for a TV too, although it probably won't happen until Lissa gets a job or I get a couple paychecks in. It's pretty damn expensive out here, but still cool on a number of levels. The weather is perfect. It has been in the 70's to high 80's everyday since we have been here and has not rained once. Clouds are a rare occurance except sometimes in the morning when there is moisture in the air from the oceans. I think that condensation is the only way plants survive out here because they sure aren't getting water from the rain.
My residency is pretty cool so far. The people in my class are all nice and the patient load has been really chill so far. They start us all out in the same place at a county hospital so we can fall back on each other if we get overwhelmed, which translates to a lot of support and a low patient load. I only have two at the moment, whereas on other rotations I would have around 8. There are also drug rep dinners 2 or 3 times a week, which is nice as long as you can maintain ethics and ignore the sales pitch that comes with them. Lissa came along with me to PF Chang's in Sherman Oaks seeing as how it was also a get-to-know people event and we gorged on all kinds of good food and drinks.
Our neighbors are really nice. We're going out with one tonight who plans parties for celebrities, so I don't know who we might see. There are also a couple of gay guys from new york who are hilarious and another girl who bakes for a living but wants to act on the side like Lissa. They are car-pooling to an extras casting agency on Monday so they can start being extras on TV shows and such. I think Lissa is also auditioning for a student film tomorrow which wouldn't pay, but would give her acting credits and some experience for her resume. She is also interviewing for dietician positions when she can. She had one for a UCLA surgery group a couple days ago. In fact, at the PF Chang's dinner, she asked a couple of questions during the Abilify spiel, and the doctor speaking happened to head up a number of long-term care facilities in town and was looking for a dietician. I guess she impressed him with her interest because he gave her his card, and she is going to call him on Monday.
Twinkie has made a lot of new friends with dogs in the building. There are two pugs, a small dog that looks like a chihuaha but apparently is not, and a couple others. She still perks up if you say Maybe and Perhaps though! Overall, it's an adjustment for sure, but we're definitely having fun out here. There is always something going on, so you're never at a loss for something new and different to do and experience. We randomly happened upon the Bruno premiere a couple of weeks ago which was bizarre. Grocery stores, wal-marts, Targets, etc usually have multiple floors with special cart escalators because the building itself is often cheaper than the land it's on. Traffic is a bitch at certain times of day, and you often have to plan your excursions around it. All-in-all, way different, but a great adventure. We can't wait for you guys to come out and visit! If you give me posting priveledges again, I'll try to keep you updated on all the frivolity!

Virginia said...

what is your email?

Virginia's Mom said...

Chris, I was just going to ask Virginia how you were. I'm so glad things seem to be going well for you. Keep up the good work.
Virginia, sorry about the rain today (Friday).

Virginia's Mom said...

Actually it's sorry about the rain today (Sunday). I don't know why I thought it was Friday today.